BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Another find in (Booksale & Fully Booked)

I have to admit that I read Buzz Bissinger's Friday Night Lights after I saw the film. And when I did, I thought that it was in many ways, more powerful than the film. It was a masterpiece. Just as Michael Lewis' Moneyball and The Blind Side are. Not soon after, I picked up Bissinger's Shooting Stars, his collaboration with LeBron James. I came away disappointed because instead of the raw emotion of Friday Night Lights, I read a sanitized biography of LBJ. Somewhat disappointed, I hesitated picking up another Bissinger book. So you can imagine my hesitation when I saw 3 Nights in August. For me, when it comes to baseball, I swear by the writings of Roger Khan and David Halberstam. Sure there are other good stuff out there from Tom Verducci and Roger Angell to name a few, I just never figured Bissinger would take a stab at it. 

I haven't finished the book yet so I can't really offer my verdict on 3 Nights in August. But if you'd like to pick this up, they have this in Fully Booked (around Php 599) and Book Sale (Php 75-115 depending where you go). 

No comments:

Post a Comment