BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Grab Bag for the Islanders


Sleeper hits Long Island. I’m happy that the New York Islanders have show life and have started beating some really good teams. I hope that this isn’t just a one-off season but the start of a trip back to respectability. It’s hard being an Islanders fan let alone one among a sea of friends who purportedly love ice hockey.

Michael Grabner, a 23-year old Austrian with the Isles, was traded by Vancouver and cut by Florida in his rookie season. If I am not mistaken, he didn’t even play for the Panthers. He was there just for training camp. When New York claimed him off waivers from Florida, I told myself, “Great! Another body bag journeyman for my cheapskate team.” You tend to feel that way with how the Islanders have done since their 1980s heyday.

Four months later…… he is leading the Islanders with goals scored. I’m a Rick DiPietro, Kyle Okposo, and John Tavares fan but if Grabner leads the Isles back to respectability, he will be the second most famous Austrian in the United States after the Governator. Twenty-five goals for the Islanders. Sixteen goals in the last 16 games! Holee cow. Not Gretzky or even Lemieux numbers in Grabner’s first full rookie season but still it is not bad.

See what losing weight can do. You go to the All-Star game and win the fastest skater contest. And going there just boosts your confidence because you're with all these great players.

Let's go, Isles!

------------
Someone asked me who my favorite NY Islander is -- it's Pat LaFontaine. I was bummed out during the aborted Drive for Five.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Rick,

    Slight correction, Grabner was not cut by the Canucks. He was traded, rather hesitantly as they predicted a bright future for him as a natural goal scorer. He played close to 30 games for Vancouver last season including the playoffs and scored a few goals.

    As a huge Canuck fan I am happy to see him be successful but also wish he could still be there. With that said they got a good return for him.

    Florida did cut him, that part I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Paul. Thanks for the correction. I didn't pay too much attention to his inclusion in the Isles. As I said, "another journeyman." But what a find, eh? Will fix that part. Gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries. As bright as his future was projected no one, not even Canuck management would've expected this kind of production this soon.

    Was pleasantly surprised to see you were also a hockey fan. Very much enjoy your blog and have been a daily visitor and sometimes contribute to the comments since the Vietnam leg of the Suzuki cup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul: have been a hockey fan since the 1980s. i have a small collection of hockey jerseys as well. Am adding an Ovechkin Caps jersey in a few weeks. Watched a lot of Isles games when I lived in NYC. Saw the Devils, Kings, and Flyers in their home rinks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on having a better team this year Rick. Even though they don't look like making the playoffs again, they have taken strides to improve their team. They even beat my favorite team the Detroit Redwings.
    I don't like your GM Garth Snow though. He picked Nabokov off waivers after Detroit signed him. As a result Nabokov decided not to report to the team and stayed home.
    BTW, a little bit of history. Pat LaFontaine is from Michigan and in the 1983 draft wanted to go to Detroit but just before Detroit could choose him, the Islanders picked him up. Detroit ended up with Steve Yzerman, their legendary captain whose career became one of the most storied in NHL history. Pat went on to have a nice career in NY, which unfortunately was ended prematurely by injury. Both guys are real gentleman as well as great players.
    I can't wait till the playoffs start. Paul, hope to see your team Vancouver, in the conference finals against my Redwings.

    ReplyDelete