BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Daniel posts triple double as SBC hammer Perpetual Help for 11th straight win

Daniel posts triple double as SBC hammer Perpetual Help for 11th straight win
by rick olivares

Sudan Daniel wasn’t exactly apologetic.  The hulking American center for San Beda posted his second tournament triple double (10 points, 10 rebounds, 12 shotblocks) and once more against the winless Perpetual Help Altas who the Red Lions thrashed 92-61 at the first game of the September 1, 2010 double header at the San Juan Arena.

“The paint is my house and if you enter my house, I’m going to show you to the door,” said Daniel after the game.

Following a close 25-20 first quarter with San Beda on top, Daniel entered the fray and immediately changed the complexion of it by blocking seven shots in the second period. The result was a 48-30 lead with the Red Lions off to the races with 12 fastbreak points.

Daniel continued to wreak havoc in the third quarter by shutting down the lane and feeding the Red Lions’ fastbreak. So dominant was Daniel that at one point, Alta point guard Chris Elorpe tried to talk him into missing his free throws.

Daniel is currently second behind the San Sebastian Stags’ Calvin Abueva in the MVP race. While he professed a dream to win it, it is only second to his helping San Beda reclaim the trophy they lost to the Stags.

Rome de la Rosa topscored for San Beda with 20 points while Arnold Danganan returned from a one-game suspension (for two flagrant fouls) to pace the Altas with 20 markers.

San Beda’s win, its 11th in as many matches automatically qualifies them for the Final Four. “Our job is no yet done,” said SBC head coach Frankie Lim. “What good is a sweep is we don’t win the championship?”

The Altas, winless in ten matches this season, have now lost 19 in a row dating to last season. “We’re still hoping to get one before the season ends,” said beleaguered Perpetual Help coach Boris Aldeguer.

-----------

This is the last NCAA story I am filing for Business Mirror. I am getting off the NCAA beat. Let's just say that I had enough (my beef is with my paper not the NCAA so we're clear on that -- magbayad kayo, cheapskates.). Imagine when I began to write for them in 2006, they paid me x-amount for my column then a certain amount for the other stories. Beginning February this year they cut the amount without even telling me. When I ask for an explanation they say that it came from the top. When I ask who I can speak with regarding that they give me the run-around and pass me around to whoever. The money they pay is already for shit and I never really count it as "pay." But it's the principle of paying, right? That was like working on P-Noy's PR campaign. Was told I'd be paid a small amount by one of the head people (I even have the email to prove it) and I never got anything. When I asked about it I never got a reply. And to think that it isn't much to begin with. Diyan pa lang hindi kaya tapos national scale change pa? Sus!


So I will no longer be doing the beat reporting for BM. I'll stick to my Monday column and occasional contributions.

No comments:

Post a Comment