BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Shooting around with Smart Gilas


Catching up with Smart Gilas this evening at the San Juan Arena. Played a shooting game with Allan Gregorio and Jude Roque where we had to make five free throws that was all net. No bouncing or grazing the rim. Whoever scores five all-net freebies win. And who knew ---? Allan won both games. Jude came in second while I was last. I made my shots. They just didn't swish right through.

Then after us it was a three-point shootout-suotan match between team manager Butch Antonio (who told me to post this), Mark Barroca, and Jason Ballesteros. Butch hit six straight triples (yes you read it right -- six!!!!) from all around the arc while Barroca managed only one while Ballesteros hit two. Obviously the two guys had to go down. Coach Rajko must have not been amused. No truth to the rumor that Butch Antonio will be their next import or that he will join next year's PBA Draft.

Smart Gilas has a pair of scrimmages coming up one of which will be against a Korean team. Stay tuned for more details. And more shooting games again! Watch fer dem.

No comments:

Post a Comment