BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Why for me Kirk Long is currently the MVP of the Ateneo Blue Eagles


I'd say the MVP of the Ateneo Blue Eagles this year has been -- Kirk Long. He plays both ends of the court, does the dirty work, and never complains. His absence in Ateneo's endgame versus La Salle was sorely felt. And having watched Mike Silungan play in the last two years (including the second residency year in State U where he played pick up games), I have never seen him attempt a trey then at the last possible moment pass off. He was forced to do that in the Fighting Maroons' match against Ateneo. Why? Coz Kirk nearly swatted his shot from behind.  And those buzzer-beating triples and double pump shots? Does anyone do that better than Mr. Long? Nada. 

Since Norman Black came on board, he's always had that one player who contributes a lot to the intangibles (the hustle board, dudes!). There was Zion Laterre and Nonoy Baclao. And this year, it's Kirk Long. The common denominator is the sparkling defensive play. 

Aldrech Ramos is leading in stats for Defensive Player of the Year. But I'd say that Kirk does a whole lot more since he also brings down the ball, guards the opposing team's best player, and chips in his share of the offense. But that's me. I don't think that stats are everything. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Al Ramos fan but Kirk's contributions are way bigger. You take Al from FEU and those hombres will not miss a beat with that lineup. You take Kirk out of the Blue Eagles then Ateneo is a longshot to win it a third straight time. Hey, pun intended. 

Unfortunately, the UAAP Board only sees it that way.

So keep up the fantastic work, Kirk! It's the wins that matter anyways.


Here's a vid I posted from years ago:



On another note....

A college basketball team (hint: they're either from the NCAA or UAAP) asked an athletic shoe company if they could sponsor them or at least give them a discount and the reply was: 1) You're not a winning program, and 2) Here's a small discount buy some shoes.

Sure it's well within their right to give shoes to who they want. But as we've seen, if you don't play for a winner then we're not with you.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with this completely. I like how he harasses the number 1 wing player and makes them pay on defense on the other end.

    ReplyDelete