BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Star Spangled Banner, Baseball, Pinoy boxing, and a football documentary

I wrote recording artist Bruce Hornsby in the summer of 2002 and asked him if there was ever a video or actual recording of his rendition of Star Spangled Banner that he performed with Branford Marsalis at the start of the 1991 NBA All-Star Game in North Carolina. I recorded that on the old betamax format and the tape had well seen better days as I must have played the entire All-Star game like 3 dozen times before it gave out.


He wrote back and told me that it was available in CD as a part of the soundtrack of Ken Burns' monumental epic "Baseball." The following day, I found the DVD box set at HMV in Fifth Avenue since at that time, I worked about a block away. It was kind of pricey ($54 if I recall it correctly) so I settled for the CD. I did go back for the DVD about a month later so I could adjust my budget.

It started out with the poignant rendition of the American National Anthem at the '91 All-Star match and it led to the epic baseball docu that inspired me further. For years I looked on youtube for any video of the Hornsby-Marsalis interpretation and it was only recently where I found one (albeit not in full as it misses out some 10 seconds).

I love Burns' Baseball documentary for its masterfully crafted research and re-telling of days gone by. It also led to my watching Burns' massive Civil War epic. This was the time when I was picking up a lot of historical stuff. His technique makes use of actual letters, poems, or narrative accounts that are juxtaposed on actual footage, old pictures as well as paintings.

A few years later, I met a Filipino in California who had quite a collection of original film footage of those Filipino fighters of yore. I used this footage in the two-hour boxing special titled Glory Road: The Story of Philippine Boxing that aired over Solar Sports (right around the time Manny Pacquiao beat Erik Morales in their third meeting).

I couldn't find the original footage (that I believe is priceless) anymore as I think it was lost during Ondoy although I still have copies of Glory Road.

Burns' epic and many of the writings of the late David Halberstam greatly influenced a lot how I look and write about sports.

One of the projects I was working on last year was a football documentary based about life in Iloilo. I lost all the footage also during the flood but only recently have begun to painstakingly put everything back together. Hopefully, I can find the time to work on the post-production on that midway through the UAAP season.

No comments:

Post a Comment