BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My notes from the World Cup

I was mighty impressed the way the Germans dismantled Australia 4-0. Having watched this team since the European Cup, I thought Joachim Loew solved one of his problems by switching Philipp Lahm from left back to right back where he formed quite a one-two punch with Mesut Ozil who as far as first matches go remind me of Franck Ribery’s impact with France in 2006. What an attack mid! Fearless and aggressive.

Honestly I was surprised to see Manuel Neuer at the starting keeper position. I thought that Rene Adler of Bayer Leverkusen would get the nod but Neuer has done a masterful job. Thomas Muller may make me forget about Kevin Kuranyi who skipped the national side for whatever reasons may exist inside his head. You thought Jogi would beg you to come back, Kev? Hmm. Maybe when Michael Ballack went down with an injury but this squad -- a mix of veterans and up and coming talent -- is in fine form.

Anyone noticed how Milovan Rajevac looked disconsolate that Ghana beat Serbia 1-0? It should have been a bigger tally for the Black Stars as Asamoah Gyan missed some shots. And it was nice to see Stephen Appiah’s return. I’ve said before that he is the idol of the UP Maroons’ Ayi Aryee. Appiah is the leader of the Black Stars but am not sure if he was wearing the captain’s armband this time.

Like everyone else, I am waiting for Group G to get into the action. That’s the “Group of Death” with Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast, and North Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment