BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Q&A time. Someone sent me some Q's via email so lemme answer them here

Q: Our defeat to Adamson yesterday is telling me: steel yourself for a tough UAAP season. Do I have that right? Or would it be tougher than tough perhaps?

Rick: Well, we played Adamson back-to-back and both games were tough. We pulled one out and lost in another one. Both times, the team had a spurt but otherwise looked sluggish overall. Remember I wrote that the team arrived on a Friday and was still suffering from jetlag. That’s not to take anything away from Adamson. Even Coach Leo said that in the last three years they booted out Ateneo in their first game back from the US.

Having said that, we are a slow starting team. Every team is different. We are not the 2006 or 2008 team that just plastered foes. It’s going to be a tough season. I’d be surprised if we go 13-1 again. Realistically, methinks 11 or 10 wins. It’s gonna be hard for sure. I think the first round will be a true test. If we hang tough, we’re good. If we make the Final Four, then everyone better watch out.

Q: Does this Filoil League allow two imports at a time? On TV, I saw Etame and Njei playing at the same time for JRU. I guess the answer would be yes. Did any other team take advantage of this exemption from the season rules?

Rick: Yes FilOil allows that. The other team to use their two imports is Adamson. Yes, Adamson. Aside from the big ManUnited fan (Austin Manyara who I promised to give that crappy Red Devil jersey that was gifted to me by a nincompoop) who is from Kenya, Will Stinnett is a Fil-Am from Guam. His papers aren’t fixed so he’s competing as an import.

Q: Are we going to see a horde of Africans dominating our collegiate basketball leagues? There are the following already: Njei, Etame, Mbe, Manyara, Daniel (Rick’s note: he’s American by the way), Noundou. What would be the merits and demerits?

A: Personally, I don’t like it because others exploit it when c’mon, they finished school? But… it’s good because it gives us exposure in playing taller guys. Will Ateneo ever have an African player? When I asked Coach Norm that question about a year ago he said no. He’d rather get a Fil-Am. If he does get one he has to be absolutely good and willing to really study.

Just to tell you a story. JRU’s Joe Etame rehabbed at the MLSC and sometime last year he inquired about transferring to Ateneo. In doing so, he miffed Ariel Vanguardia. As much as I wanted to say “yes” I thought it wasn’t a good idea given the waiting period. It won’t help him. I said that he should stay with JRU and help them win a title. Of course, it is presumptuous for me to say that I was the deciding factor. Not at all. There were others who convinced him to stay at Shaw.

And I’m writing something on Njei and Etame. They are some really cool guys. I also enjoy yapping with Manyara who is a huge football fan. ManU sucks! Hahaha!

Q: What gives with the Nike Summer League? Were they offended by your suggestion that "summer" is all about fun and recreation and thus effectively being an "insignificant" league? Sayang, because Ateneo (champions in 2008) has had better luck with the NSL than this Filoil preseason league?

Rick: Dude, we do not hang championship banners for tourneys outside the UAAP and NCAA. I like to think that we’re like the New York Yankees or the Boston Celtics. Just as they have no room for flags or banners for division titles, we have no place in the rafters for tournaments outside where we come to really play. We can win all of that but if we don’t get the UAAP title then it’s for shit. Still… it’s nice to see everyone take the FilOil seriously for the first time and it’s always nice to win everything in sight. Then that way we’re also like FC Barcelona. Six for Six!

Q: Finally, by my count, Ateneo can still fill in the slots vacated by Sumalinog and Burke? Am I right about this?

Rick: Yes. Right now strong faves to make it are Carlo Balmaceda, Paul Siarot, and Jeric Estrada. IMHO, Carlo is in. The other slot is a toss up between the two.

Fantasy time. Another player I would have wanted to see make it to Team A is Alec Rivera. Dude, alongside Emman Monfort, these guys were speed demons. Effing pedal to the metal. All blood and guts.

Q: Will you be writing about other college teams this year?

Rick: Yes. Adamson, DLSU, JRU, Letran, San Beda, and NU. Hopefully a little more regular than usual. I might miss out a couple of weeks of college ball because I am going to Brazil and Argentina this September. I have to figure that out well because it will clash with my other work.


No comments:

Post a Comment