BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

With Two Champs

Ronnie Nathanliezs was kidding me as this picture was taken. "Eye of the tiger, Rick." the veteran sports journalist encouraged. Brian and I had quite a laugh. I was at the Punch Out Gym to interview him and Donnie Nietes. In case you've been living under a rock, the two dudes who are both world champeens have respective matches on January 23 dubbed Battle By the Bay 2 (@the Cuneta Astrodome). Brian and I go all the way back to when I was with Solar Sports and I did a bunch of stuff with him on TV and print. One time, I had to be his yayo. But we had fun as I accompanied him to make a guest appearance in Eat Bulaga, radio tours, gaming centers in Makati, and lunch and dinner in Greenhills, Eastwood, Timog, and Makati. We had fun catching up. Stay tuned for my story on him. Quite a long time coming.

Donnie Nietes. WBO Mediumweight Champ! Out to defend his title for a fourth straight time. Cool cool dude. One tough customer. I love the story I'm writing on him. Enjoyed interviewing him and writing the piece. It will be out in Business Mirror (and Brew of course) in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment