BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

All together now... she's so pretty! They're so pretty!


The last time Maria Sharapova and Elena Vesnina were on the tennis court together it was when they led Russia to the Fed Cup championship in September of 2007.

But here in the 2008 Australian Open, the two blonde beauties met on the hardcourt with Masha prevailing upon her doppelganger 6-3, 6-0 to advance to the fourth round.

While the 5'7" Vesnina broke Sharapova twice in the opening set, she too, had problems with her own serve that the statuesque Siberian took advantage of. "She came out with nothing to lose," said Masha proudly about her compatriot but befuddled over her inability to bring the intensity she had when she dispatched Lindsay Davenport the previous day. "But I felt that my experience gave me an edge in the match."

Masha next faces... damn, another of my faves... Elena Dementieva.

Poll Results: Who will win the men's draw of the 2008 Australian Open?
Roger Federer - 13 votes
Andy Roddick - 5 votes
Rafael Nadal - 3 votes
Nikolay Davydenko - 1 vote
another dude - 1 vote

No comments:

Post a Comment