BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Pitch


The sun was fading fast. I was doing some brisk walking around the Ateneo campus on a quiet Thursday afternoon on the third day of 2008 in hopes of staying fit. Classes were still out and that was a blessing because on a day like this the solitude and nostalgia were in perfect communion with the leafy greens and wide-open spaces. There was a slight chill in the air and I prayed that the sweat on my back wouldn’t give me a death of cold. As I passed the fields of play I whispered three words that do well to help usher in the New Year, “Football season’s up.”

“Some people believe that football is a matter of life and death. I assure you it is much, much more important than that.”

I wish I said that; only Bill Shankly, the great Liverpudlian-by-way-of-Scotland did well before my time. He may have said it but it’s mine as well as many others who feel passion for the game long before it was co-opted by Brazilians, Italians, and now the Iraqi national team. While some dreamt of greatness on the basketball court, I had visions of glory on the pitch.

But some dreams remain that way. And so I watch the beautiful game unfold as it’s time for the annual rite that I loved as a kid. Where I kicked the ball under the scorching sun and a deluge of sweat drenched my sweats and face. Where I gave that benediction to the game with every incandescent goal and I was king even if for just one day.

So the UAAP football season is here. And the team of blue and white will give life to those lofty dreams. I pray that we will win and I’ll still cheer them on even if we don’t. And I’ll be there to celebrate, laugh, gnash my teeth, and sing our battle song.

Shhh.

Can you hear? The sound of the beautiful game is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment