BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, December 1, 2017

Meet De La Salle Lipa’s Alleiah Jan Malaluan.



Meet De La Salle Lipa’s Alleiah Jan Malaluan.
photo from Volleyball Ph

Q: Tell us something about yourself.

Alleiah: I am a positive thinker who is determined to reach my goals and am determined to have a successful professional volleyball career.

I was born and raised here in Lipa City, Batangas. (Right now) I am 15 years old, Grade 9 and am studying at De La Salle Lipa.

When I was in Grade 2, the year I started playing volleyball, the sport was already popular in the country. My elementary coach saw my potential because of my height and dedication to train every day.

Q: In your young career, what has been your most memorable moment and why? Can you share an anecdote?

Alleiah: We won three national championship titles -- the Shakey’s Girls V-League Championship two years ago and two Palarong Pambansa championships.

My first Palaro gold medal was when I was in Grade 6 and the tournament was held in Tagum City, Davao. As for a gold medal moment which I consider to be the most memorable, this was when we (Calabarzon) won the championship in the 2017 Palarong Pambansa in Antique.

We were down by two sets but we refused to give up! We came back to win in five sets. It helped me be more confident!

Q: Who are your favorite volleyball players and why?

Alleiah: My favorite volleyball players ae Alyssa Valdez and Jovelyn Gonzaga. My teammates give me inspiration every time inside the court; they boost my confidence. I also owe a lot to our coaches for their untiring dedication and support. Without them, my teammates and I wouldn’t be where we are right now.

Q: Are you graduating from high school? Have you made any college plans?

Alleiah: Since I am still in Junior High, my focus is to complete them. For college, I have no definite plans yet. Although there are universities who are already contacting us, we cannot give any definite response as I would like to enjoy and cherish what I am experiencing right now.

Q: Can you share an anecdote about the recently concluded Rebisco Volleyball League.


Alleiah: In the recently held Rebisco Volleyball League. We were the underdog in the championship battle against NU. We do not have the height and the exposure that the UAAP schools have. But we showed the league that we (DLSL) are one and work as a team. We know how to play happily. This for me already equates what a champion team should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment