BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Checking my World Cup predictions and what I got right in the bracket

Prior to kick off for the 2014 World Cup, I filled up my bracket and submitted it. Let's see how I did.

The ones in bold are what I got right. The ones in italics are the actual correct ones.



Group A
Brazil
Cameroon ----- Mexico

Group B
Netherlands
Spain -- Chile

Group C (I struck out in this bracket. I knew Colombia was good but not that good).
Ivory Coast -- Colombia
Japan -- Greece

Group D (I tabbed Uruguay to go deep on account of Luis Suarez, Diego Forlan, and Edinson Cavani except Forlan was a shade of his former self leaving more pressure for the other two. Then Suarez got hungry).
Uruguay – Costa Rica
Italy -- Uruguay

Group E
Ecuador -- France
France -- Switzerland

Group F
Argentina
Nigeria

Group G
Germany
United States

Group H (I was going on a limb here with Korea beating Belgium except the latter was pretty solid).

South Korea -- Belgium
Algeria



Semis (Got three of the four semifinalists right. If Suarez got Uruguay to this stage, I figured they'd beat Lionel Messi and the La Albiceleste).
Brazil-Germany
Uruguay-Argentina

Finals
Germany-Uruguay

World Cup Champion: Germany

I also said that Germany would score 14 goals. They finished with an 18-goal total.


-------------------------

ADDITIONAL READING!

My 2014 World Cup dubious awards -- The Boot

Redeemed: Germany are World Cup Champions!

My best XI of the World Cup including reserves.

Fall, Brazil 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment