BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Harvey Carey and the One-Team Club Part 2


Harvey Carey's drive to the basket is met by then Ginebra players Rico Maierhofer and Willy Wilson.
This appears in the PBA website.

Harvey Carey and the One-Team Club Part 2
by rick olivares pic by nuki sabio

The first feature on this exclusive club where a player sticks it out with only one franchise for his entire career (that should be at least 10 years) was incomplete by five players.

Thanks to an eagle eyed fan and PBA statistician Fidel Mangonon, we now know there are three others who should be added to the aforementioned nine.

Just to recap, we listed (asterisk indicates that a player is currently playing):
Alvin Patrimonio – Purefoods 17 years
Danny Ildefonso – San Miguel, Magnolia, Petron 15 years
Rey Evangelista – Purefoods 14 years
Jayjay Helterbrand – Ginebra 13 years *
Mark Caguioa – Ginebra 12 years *
Jimmy Alapag – Talk ‘N Text 11 years *
Harvey Carey – Talk ‘N Text 11 years *
James Yap – Purefoods, B-Meg, San Mig 10 years *
Samboy Lim – San Miguel 10 years

We should also add to the list:
Art dela Cruz – San Miguel, 10 years
Peter June Simon - Purefoods, B-Meg, San Mig Coffee, 10 years *
Sonny Thoss – Alaska, 10 years *

Mike Bilbao is on the outside looking in a nine-year career with Tanduay/Beer Hausen. Previously, we mentioned San Miguel’s Hector Calma and Ginebra’s Bal David as also having played their entire nine years with their respective club.

Here’s a quick interview with Talk ‘N Text’s Harvey Carey who is also a part of this exclusive club.

Rick: In this age of free agency and the constant influx of talented players into the league how big a deal is it for you to have stayed with one ballclub considering there are few of you?

Harvey: I feel very fortunate and blessed to have remained with Talk ‘N Text my whole 11-year career.  I think in this day and age, it's a true testament of both the organization and myself as a player.  Loyalty is very underrated.

Rick:  Have you ever been close to being traded? Did you ever think about moving to another club? Why did you stay if there was any possibility?

Harvey: In this business, you always hear rumors of trades but you can't let that affect you negatively. I have never imagined or thought of wanting to go to another team.  I feel I have grown roots with TNT and if possible, I would want to retire with them.

Rick: The average career of a PBA player is five (5) years. What do you think of that?

Harvey: Wow! Hearing that makes me feel that much more fortunate to have lasted this long in the PBA. The league's talent improves each year so you have to continuously better yourself to be able to stick around and to remain healthy. There's no room for contentment. 

Rick: How do you psyche yourself for the grind year after year considering you're in you're 11th year in the PBA? 

Harvey: The competition and the drive to get better everyday pushes me each year. To hold the championship trophy at the end of a conference and share that moment of accomplishment with your teammates and coaches has to be my number one motivation. 

Rick: How has your game changed since you first came into the league? With TNT, Ali, Kelly, and yourself are like a supercharged and highly athletic trio -- the workhorses of the team.

Harvey: When I first came into the league, I relied more on my athletic ability to get things done on the court. Nowadays, I spend even more time in the weight room and on the court before or after practices. I definitely stretch, ice and watch what I eat a lot more than I did in my younger days. Also, I find myself more of a leader than before.  I'm not as vocal as Jimmy, but I like to do it in my own subtle way.

Rick: How long do you see yourself playing competitive hoops?

Harvey: I don't really have a set number of years in mind. Right now I feel great and believe I can still contribute and compete at a high level.  My love for the game will never die but once I feel like the hunger and enjoyment diminish, I'll hang up my sneakers.


No comments:

Post a Comment