BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, July 22, 2013

10 Questions for Fabio Cannavaro


10 Questions for Fabio Cannavaro

Q: If you can cite your most memorable moments in your football career, what would they be?

Fabio: Of course, the victory in the World Cup (in 2006). There’s the Player of the Year Award and winning with Real Madrid.

Q: How does it feel to be only the second defender to win a Ballon d’Or award?

Fabio: It is a very good feeling. Before the award was only given to attackers who people think are the only ones who sell tickets. But defenders also win games. However, in the case that I won the award, people look at defenders differently now.

Q: Tell us about your road to becoming a professional football player.

Fabio: It is very simply. At 12 years old, I went to the youth team of Naples that is just 100 meters from where I live. I worked hard until I made the first team. The rest is history.

Q: Who were your football idols when you were growing up?

Fabio: I started out as a midfielder and my idol was Bernd Schuster, a German football player who was also a midfielder. He was later my manager with Real Madrid and it was fun playing for him. We won the league title. When I was 16 or 17, I was switched to defence and my reference was Ciro Ferrara (who I played with Naples and Juventus).

Q: How did you get your nickname as “the Berlin Wall”?

Fabio: I do not know how it is born. I think it was because of an English commentator. Maybe it is because we did not concede any goals during our run to the world championship. Only a penalty and an own goal.

Q: How has life been after you retired from football? What are you doing now?

Fabio: For the moment it is to become a coach. I passed my FIFA Master’s Course and now when I start with my club in Dubai (Al Ahli), I hope to win a championship as a coach and later as coach of Italy!

Q: What can you say about today’s crop of football players?

Fabio: Each generation has its pluses and minuses. Certainly now, a top player should not only think of playing but also is continually distracted by media, events, and sponsors. Back in my day, at the beginning of my career, we thought of only to play.

Q: What do you know of football in Asia?

Fabio: Certainly growing. Japan and Korea prove it. It’s potentially huge. Like all sports, it very much depends on the quality of the coaches in the youth teams.

Q: What have you heard about football in the Philippines?

Fabio: That it is growing!

Q: What are you looking forward to the most in the Clear Dream Match?

Fabio: It is to coach the players to train hard, show the game respect, and to enjoy themselves and the game.

----------------------

More info on the Clear Dream Match 2 and the press launch

1 comment: