BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, February 1, 2013

Kuala Lumpur Diary Day One Friday February 1

In Kuala Lumpur for the One FC: Return of Warriors. My third time here in Malaysia. Loaded up four movies to my iPad mini -- Gladiator, Jerry Maguire, Ratatouille, and Trouble with the Curve. Brought a book for good measure: The Finish: The Killing of Osama Bin Laden by Mark Bowden. The author is the man who wrote the most excellent Blackhawk Down. 

On the note of airborne vehicles, the take off from NAIA 3 was horrible. Like a drunk was piloting the plane. Then twice we experience turbulence that disoriented me for a several minutes. Arrived at KL at 532pm and we cleared immigration after an hour as the queue was quite long. Then on our way to the hotel it took another hour because traffic was horrendous. 

But it was all good when we got to the Mines Wellness Hotel. It was really too late in the day to do anything except have a late dinner. There were a bunch of fighters still trying to stuff themselves late at night. We were told that the weigh in was mostly uneventful except for Honorio Banario unable to immediately make the weight. 

Tomorrow, we're off to the Putra Stadium at 10am to check out the octagon etc. After that I'm off to Kinokuniya at the Petronas Towers to pick up a couple of books. Will then link up with old friend Ariel Vanguardia to catch the KL Dragons in a basketball match before heading back to the Putra Stadium for the fight. 

It's 11:12pm here in KL, Friday evening as I write this. The Foo Fighters are playing on my iTunes. Will catch some zzs in a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment