BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Scenes from the Philippines-Indonesia match


With Carli de Murga, Angel Guirado and Paul Mulders over dinner two days before the Indonesia match at the Discovery Suites. Paul told me that he once played in Ajax Amsterdam's youth system and it was cool to talk about the Dutch club of which I am a huge fan of. I told him that I had the old ABN-AMRO kit that is the first one I ever purchased in my life. The lines stretch all the way to the New York Cosmos and their former Ajax players. And then there's Patrick Kluivert who I followed as a fan from Ajax to Barcelona.


Clowning around with some of the Local Organizing Committee members prior to the press conference signing between the Azkals and Puma. 


With some of the Indonesian fans outside the Rizal Memorial Football Stadium. A number of them flew in for the match while others are in the Philippines for their schooling. I also had a nice chat with many of them at McDonald's after the match. When Indonesia does not play, they root for the Philippines.


Levitate me. James Younghusband celebrates his goal with Dennis Cagara.


Post-scuffle. The two team captains, Irfan Bachdim of Indonesia and Chieffy Caligdong of the Philippines sort out what happened. Irfan apologized afterwards and called his actions as "stupid" and a consequence "I will just have to live with."

Here's what I wrote about the match; it's called, "Multiple Choice(s)."

3 comments:

  1. Sir, I always follow your blog especially if it's about the Azkals. Can I just make one request? Since you mentioned that you had this conversation with Paul Mulders ... can you feature him in one of your blogs? I really want to know more about our other Azkals who seem to shy away from the limelight. You know, players like Mulders, Jonsson, etc. Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing, Eleau. Thank you for reading. Appreciate that.

      Delete
    2. I would second that request also. Kindly feature players like Mulders, Jonsson. Would appreciate if you could include Lucena and Cagara too. Thank you!

      Delete