BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Barako Bull notes


After Wynne Arboleda’s desperation heave clanged off the rim, Barako Bull forward-center Don Allado hung his head with his hands on his knees just a little above the halfcourt line. Allado finished with nine points on 4-7 shooting to go with seven rebounds, two assists, and two blocks. He was the last Energy Booster off the floor as several Talk ‘N Text players came over to console him.

Allado is now in his 12th year (and with his fifth team) in the league and is far off his early league form when he crack a pair of Mythical Team selections. Inside Barako Bulls’ dugout, he sought out head coach Junel Baculi who was talking to me about the match that saw their ouster from the Philippine Cup. “Thanks, coach,” he said shaking Baculi’s hand. The former La Salle center wanted to say something more but bit his lip. Outside the dugout, he spoke a bit with TNT’s Jared Dillinger then told me, “I can still bring it if I am given the minutes. I know I can.”

Baculi smiled at my mention that Barako Bull is for many players, a team for last chances. “Hindi naman siguro. We have good players who will still be good for a few more years but we have players of 33-35 years and more. But if we’re a team for last chances and that motivates them that is good.”

No comments:

Post a Comment