BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Win #42



Got my scouting report right. New York scored four runs in the first inning to give Ivan Nova a lead to work with. Nova's change up and slider were awesome. Loved the way he baffled Joey Votto. The camera crew picked up on Votto discussing it with his hitting coach. Some sloppy relief pitching gave the Reds some life but other than that, the Bronx Bombers picked up the win. I love the way writer Wallace Matthews put it when Mariano Rivera was suddenly summoned for a save situation: "Now, Girardi had to go to Mariano Rivera who was probably dozing off in the bullpen or maybe fishing in the Ohio River just behind the ballpark." Hahaha. Indeed. Three straight wins at NL ballparks and 13 games above .500 to go 42-29. And Mo needs 25 more saves to surpass Trevor Hoffman as MLB's all-time saves leader.

But that sign up in the stands comparing Derek Jeter to Pete Rose. Yeah, I like Charlie Hustle but he can have those hits since he isn’t going to Cooperstown (because he foolishly bet on baseball). Jeter is. My snide comebacker aside, I'd forgive Pete Rose. The man's accomplishments (with Cincinnati and Philadelphia) are dazzling. It's a contentious point but I'd forgive him.

No comments:

Post a Comment