BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Worm Love





Did you watch, read or hear about the reception that Dennis Rodman got when he was presented the honorary game ball before the Game 2 match between Chicago and Miami? For a longtime Bulls fan, it was gratifying to see Rodman get that electric ovation from the fans. And to think that he only played three years in the Windy City but my, what a three years! He helped the Bulls win their second wave of three-peats while winning the rebounding titles in every one of those years. Plus he also made the All-Defensive Team in his first year in red and white.

What a year for Rodman. The Detroit Pistons retired his #10 jersey last April 1 then three days later, he was inducted into to the Basketball Hall of Fame. The Worm also turned 50 last May 13 and during the Bulls-Heat game last May 18, he got an incredible reception at the United Center prompting him to exclaim, “The electricity was really high, but they didn’t need me for that. They’ve got this team, but being out there was really cool. It’s nice to see that people haven’t forgotten you. I’ll take it.”


It was an instant reunion with former teammates Scottie Pippen, Bill Wennington (who does radio commentary for the Bulls), and Steve Kerr (who does game analysis for TNT alongside Marv Albert and Reggie Miller).

From all accounts, the atmosphere was electric as the new generation of Bulls attempt to win a NBA title. With many former Bulls in attendance, for an old time fan like me, I was hoping for some déjà vu more so after the loss to the Heat. Nevertheless, it was still a treat.

Added Rodman, “Coming back here is like a reunion with everybody in this city. I’d take being here over going to the Hall of Fame any day, because they’re going to love you here no matter what. The Hall of Fame is a one-time deal. I don’t get too many accolades like this, so maybe I’m not taking advantage of it, but I’m just trying to be as humble as I can.”




photo and quotes from chicago.com

No comments:

Post a Comment