BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Gamebreakers

Released in 2008, if this is your intro to Major League Soccer, then it's not bad. Not great but certainly not bad. It could really use a better script, better editing, and better direction. I thought about other similar DVD of other sports that feature stars of their respective leagues and GAMEBREAKERS sticks to league exploits. No personal backgrounds and that doesn't help. 

In the segment about Landon Donovan, there is brief mention of his first two stints in Germany but it doesn't mention that they were failed experiments. Of course it shouldn't because it makes the MLS look like a lower tier league (some think that way though). Maybe the updated version considering Donovan's successful Everton stint should make that more appealing. 

I also find the constant repetition of certain goals a little disappointing because I begin to wonder about the dearth of footage. 

Or maybe these were segments that worked well on TV like NBA Action or some such. Gripes aside, GAMEBREAKERS well, it's not bad. But I hear that the DVD The History of the MLS Cup is much better.


If you're looking for cool intro-to-certain-ballclubs, I don't have many but check out Liverpool: No Heart As Big or Arsenal: The Highbury Years.

1 comment:

  1. I follow this league. I subscribed to MLS TV last year so I can watch all the games online from the Philippines, sad to say they dont have that subscription for this year for people outside US & Canada. Not the best league/players in the world, but if your a futbol fan you will like it.

    ReplyDelete