BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Pics from today


I was invited to DYSI Super Radyo Iloilo this morning to talk about the PFF Suzuki U-23 National Cup and football here in the Philippines. The radio station is owned and operated by GMA7. I thought that the interview by announcer John Mandanio (in the picture) would last five to ten minutes. Instead it took an hour! And before I knew it, I was gabbing and gabbing and telling jokes and anecdotes. It sure was fun. I've been invited tomorrow on a local television talk show. Now, I told our Suzuki clients and PFF officials to attend that because maybe they are better suited for that. We'll see now.

With Iloilo's German Doronilla and Mark Ferrer (who is also with the Philippine Men's National Football Team) after the match between Iloilo and NCR. The Ilonggos won 2-1.


The NCR team with Miguel Montelibano in the foreground during their pre-game warm-ups. When the team got up in the morning, several of them felt sickly causing some concern among the coaching staff. During the warmups, I asked Patrick Deyto if the heat would affect them. "Definitely," he said. "I actually feel tired." Not a good sign. But once the game started -- they came out with a great effort that had the home side on their heels.


With the Subo family. Hazel, Domingo, and Phoebe. They are native Barotacnons and it was great to find out that they religiously follow Bleachers' Brew. I met a number of people here in Iloilo who really follow the blog whether it be football or basketball. It's kind of humbling when even the players (from the various teams) ask if I am done writing so they can read the new piece or if they offer their own two centavos worth of ideas as well. At times, I am taken aback by it. Like this evening, the Bacolod players swarmed over the table at the lobby to read and take a gander at the pics. Thanks, guys! And to the Subo family -- super thanks! And there's more stuff here.

No comments:

Post a Comment