BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, April 30, 2010

A couple of books I picked up at Borders (Wheelock Place in Orchard Road)


The boys enjoyed the Kinokuniya at Ngee An City. But even if it is so much bigger and better than Borders (at Wheelock Place), I always make it a point to drop by the latter. Sometimes there are a few things you won't find in the big outlets.

Case in point: Moneyball was purchased to replace my old copy that got messed (yes by Ondoy) and The Bronx Zoo was a frigging bonus! I never knew it was still in print. Even before I only had the controversial excerpt from Reggie Jackson about the late Thurman Munson from an old and batter copy of Sport magazine.

I've only read two books by Michael Lewis -- Moneyball and The Blind Side -- and I'm such a huge fan. His mania for writing stories about obsession and finding connections between seemingly disjointed threads is unbelievable. As much as I'd recommend both books to the casual fan, the topics are on winning baseball games on a budget (Moneyball) and American football's position player of the Left Tackle and why it has become one of the most important and highest paid on a football team (The Blind Side).

No comments:

Post a Comment