BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, September 14, 2009

With my fellow sports media friends

At the media room of the Araneta Coliseum with my colleagues.

I actually have a story to tell. I'm not really the superstitious lot but I like to make a joke about how Ateneo has not lost this season when I'm around. Of course that's rubbish but I'll bet you how many people say that they have similar experiences or vibes.

Last Saturday, the media writers were not allowed on the court. Well we could go but we were not allowed to bring pens, ballpens. So I stayed with my colleagues inside the media room for the game. I normally bring a camera with me but Araneta people are just so difficult to deal with. For the most part I get on the court but last Saturday, well, no.

Towards the 3rd Quarter of the Ateneo-FEU game we had fallen behind by 18 points and I began to feel antsy. I suddenly realized that our photog from Business Mirror was not at the game. I told my colleagues that maybe, just maybe, I needed to get out. And they told me to go on. I mean, who believes this stuff, right? I dashed out, got the wristband that gave me access to the floor, and hoped for a comeback.

Well, we won. And man, by hook or crook, I ain't staying inside that damn media room for the next three Ateneo games.

Remember Steve Kerr's story about making the shotin 1997 and getting out of the way for Michael Jordan in 1998? Well, I do. That's my story and I'm sticking to that. Bwahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment