BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Living Return


How cool is this? One of my favorite footballers will return to the team where he became famous. I may be a Liverpool fan but I enjoy watching Arsenal (as I do a great many teams).
Former Arsenal skipper Patrick Vieira could be set for a sensational return to the club after reports that manager Arsene Wenger is considering a swoop for the midfielder.

The 33-year-old midfielder has had a tough time with Inter since joining them in 2006 - despite winning three Italian league titles - and has just over 50 appearances in the last three years.

Vieira is available on a free transfer and he is keen to link up with a club that would offer him the chance to prepare for the World Cup in South Africa next year.

Tottenham Hotspur also registered an interest last week and, the Frenchman is reportedly being offered a pay-as-you-play contract at the Emirates, similar to the one offered by the White Hart Lane club.

Gunners' legend Ian Wright claims that the deal could be on. "I'm hearing Vieira, pay-as-you-play, back at Arsenal," Wright exclaimed on his Talksport show. "That's what I'm hearing, and that's what I'm hoping."

The Arsenal side, who have just lost Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor, have not won any silverware since Vieira scored the winning penalty in a shootout against Manchester United in the FA Cup final in 2005.
So Arsene? What are you waiting for? Bring back Vieira!

No comments:

Post a Comment