BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Halikinu Radio Episode 1



Martin David and me on the air. We were both officemates in Solar Sports and ABL teammates. Now we're doing Halikinu Radio and Rebound (as our kicks guru) too. It's good to be surrounded by friends. I'm wearing the new adidas Ateneo white hoodie. Coolness!

When we entered the DJ's booth, seeing those four mikes in front, I cracked, "Sort of makes me think that we're the Temptations and Mhel is Smokey Robinson (yeah I know he fronted the Miracles but still...)." Everyone laughed at the funny.

This is us posing at the Nu 107 lobby before the show. We were doing an impression of one of the promo posters for U2's No Line on the Horizon. From left to right: Chuck Araneta, Mhel Garrido, Martin David, Portia Silva, and me.



We met up at 8pm to do a pre-show meeting. Chuck was lead host for the first ep (that's short for "episode"). We're going to rotate lead hosts per episode. Next week it's Martin's turn then moi.

Our student assistants were Evee and Yna and they got their first look at that force of nature Mhel Garrido. Trina Alejo is our producer.


Posing with the crew and our guest Benjo Afuang, the Lord of Ateneo College Athletics. Bwahahaha. Since we did our impression of U2's No Line On the Horizon earlier, it was only natural for David "The Edge" Evans to join us in the photo.

If you want to meet the hosts, here's a link to Halikinu Radio's multiply site.
http://halikinuradio.multiply.com/journal/item/2/Meet_the_Hosts

I guess we can already mention it. Prior to Ateneo's first round clash with La Salle in the first week of August, we will have special guests on the show -- from the other school -- Magoo Marjon, Coach Richard del Rosario, and George Rocha. So be sure you tune in to that episode and every ep for that matter.

You can watch the webcast as we do the show (in real time). You gotta log in. Next week nationwide telecast on Nu107. Folks all over the world can watch and listen to us. Oh, yeah. There is a podcast. Not sure where it will be up though. Check out Brew for more info.

One of the cool things about being on NU107 (my favorite radio station) is seeing an old schoolmate and mentor to my musical tastebuds, Dominic Gamboa aka Papadom of Tropical Depression. And he tells me that a new Tropical Dep album will be out this December! Man, that is a mighty fine gift for reggae music fans for the coming Christmas.

Muchos gracias to NU107 Op Head Cris Hermosisima! OBF! And to Mico Halili for the kind words.

Thanks also to all those who texted! Thanks too to the Inquirer's Dennis Eroa. It's totally aces to know that he said that I am one of his favorite columnists. A three fights salute to you, sir. And to GMA-7's James Velasquez. It sure is nice if what I'm able to do can inspire others to take a similar path. I got your back, bro!

No comments:

Post a Comment