BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A World of Opportunity

http://businessmirror.com.ph/home/sports/11183-womens-world-10-ball-empowering-women-and-girls-through-sports.html


A World of Opportunity
Allison Fisher, Shanelle Loraine, and Jeanette Lee at the Women’s World 10-Ball Championship

by rick olivares

The intermittent rains cooled off the Manila heat. Yet inside the comfortable and well-heeled confines of the Crowne Plaza, “the Duchess of Doom” radiated sunshine.

It is many-time women’s billiards champion Allison Fisher’s first time in the Philippines and though reserved, as proper English women are, she loves every minute of her new experience here and it shows. “That’s just a nickname,” she chuckled about her moniker and allegations about her ruthlessness when putting the kibosh on foes on the billiards table.

“Why shouldn’t I be excited?” she quickly dispelled. “The Philippines is one of the hotbeds of pool and I think this is wonderful that the Women’s World 10-Ball Championship is being held here (June 2-6 at the Sky Dome at SM City North EDSA). I’m really looking forward to it. And 10-ball is a great game, too.”

If Fisher is a picture of restraint, Shanelle Loraine is ready to bounce off the walls. The 26-year old from Orlando by way of Guam has Filipino blood from her grandfather. She’s only heard stories of the old country and now it’s become a reality to see the Philippines for the first time. She becomes ecstatic; her smiles broadens and her dimples show. Why not? Her Orlando Magic dusted off the heavily favored Cleveland Cavaliers in Game 6 of the NBA’s Eastern Conference Finals to advance to the Finals.

“This (the Magic’s victory) really makes my day now,” she gushes. “Now if I can win this tournament…”

Loraine stands at 5’1” yet is akin to tiny dynamite. She’s made waves as a sexy billiards player but she works hard to be accepted more for her cue skills than her being eye candy. “For sure women pool players have gone beyond being a novelty. But I do agree there’s some marketing behind that but you’re going to get that anywhere. It doesn’t bother me. I just go out and focus on what needs to be done. Hopefully, I can give the hometown fans a terrific showing.”

At first, billiards was only a college pastime as she competed on the University of Central Florida team. Graduation meant getting a real job but the influence of others really rubbed off on her. “Is that good?” she laughed. “One of the people I learned the game from is (former Philadelphia 76ers and NBA all-time great) Julius Erving. He was one of those who introduced me to pool and not many people know this but he is a very good pool player.” And two years ago, she made the decision to commit her life to the sport.

“My parents just said, ‘whatever it is you do, just do it to the best of your abilities and put your heart, mind, and soul into it.’ Well, I found my calling.”

For Jeanette Lee, it’s more than that; billiards is not only a part of her family, it’s become a source of strength. Regarding the former, her husband, George Breedlove, is a cue artist himself and whenever she travels, she takes her daughter, Cheyenne, with her.

But it’s the latter that says a lot about her as a billiards player and as a person. “I feel pain every day,” she says about the steel rods that are embedded in her back to make her stand upright; a result of her childhood battle with scoliosis. “But it’s not something for me to complain about. Everyone out there has a story whether it’s physical, emotional, and financial. It might not even be something that happens to you but maybe family or someone you know and it hurts you so deeply. It’s the journey.”

It’s sound advice for one who grew up in Brooklyn, New York and took its good, left behind its bad, and moved to Indianapolis where the laid-back atmosphere and adherence to family values suits her just fine.

“The opportunities for a young adult are incredible in New York but I love Indianapolis because it is much more focused on the family, on the home, on raising your children running over to your neighbors’ house and having a barbecue. It’s really where you are at your life now. It’s a foundation that also allows me to focus on being a great billiards player because it’s not just for me but for my family.”

Fisher agrees, “I have a lot of balance in my life. Being good at something gives me the means to do other things. I’m currently looking at some charities to involve myself in. But I’m happy for a tournament like this – we have women from all over the world coming to compete. And they bring a lot of strength to the tour. They’re doing great things and competing with the men, too.”

Lee considers this tournament a positive step in strengthening the sport and opening up the game for women. “When I first started playing billiards, I’d see women at the venue but they were only there to watch their men play. Now you can see beautiful, smart, and savvy women playing everywhere so it’s been a great journey for us.”

“I’m really excited to be back in the Philippines because it was a great experience last time. Yet that was 10 years ago. I’m interested to see how the Philippines has developed. Dragon Promotions and all the other sponsors have put up a great event so here we are – the best of the best fighting it out – and we’re going to put on a great show for everyone.”

No comments:

Post a Comment