BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Hail to the Four-time V-League Champs!


It was a rainy day more than a year ago and I couldn't get out of Blue Eagle Gym. Beside me was UST's famed volleyball coach Gus Sta.Maria and we had along talk. I didn't know him well and relished the opportunity to talk volleyball. I like to think that he enjoyed the conversation because every time after that, we'd have cool discussions. A few months after, he suffered a stroke.

I didn't find out about it until last year's V-League.

When the UST Lady Tigresses beat San Sebastian in two straight games to capture their fourth V-League crown, their team dedicated the win to Sta. Maria. As much as it pains to me to see that they beat Roger Gorayeb's Lady Stags, maybe it's a fitting tribute to their long time coach who gave glory to his school.

UST swept San Sebastian College for the second straight time, 25-18, 25-20, 25-22, to rule the sixth Shakey's V-League for their fourth crown, their first without Sta. Maria at the helm.

The Tigresses defense held Bualee, the league's top scorer to alow of eight points, her conference-low.

The Stags' Laurence Ann Latigay, Suzanne Roces, and Analyn Benito had to pick up the slack but were outplayed by Maika Ortiz, Bernice Co and Michelle Carolino who combined for 24 points.

Setter Rhea Dimaculangan helped play superb defense as she had four big blocks that translated to six points.

“We offer this victory to coach August Sta. Maria, ” said UST mentor Cesael delos Santos. “It’s a nice feeling to win for the first time. At least we got back at the Lady Stags after we lost to them last year.”



No comments:

Post a Comment