BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, May 18, 2009

Global Stars





The Smart Gilas RP Men's Team have become the crowd darlings here in Jakarta. It isn't solely the Indonesian and Filipino community that cheers on the team. When CJ Giles went down with an injury versus Lebanon, former San Miguel import Nate Johnson showed great compassion in looking out for his compatriot. Even the others like Priest Lauderdale who is a gentle giant was offering words of comfort and encouragement.

After the games, the players have been getting their share of photo ops and autograph signing sessions. 

When I asked Chris Tiu about the fans who have come out to support them, he said, "It's nice and to see the whole team get it. It's fantastic."

Even when CJ Giles was stretched out with Coach Jim Saret checking him out in that game versus Lebanon, some of the other paramedics were having their pictures taken with CJ, who is clearly one of two most exciting Americans here next to Iran's Jackson Vroman.

When I ride in the team bus, I'm usually beside Dylan Ababou or Rey Guevarra in the back row (with Jayvee Casio in front of us) and the three say that it has been an eye popping experience for them. Even the publicity they have gotten is incredible. And it couldn't happen to a better bunch of guys -- these 12.

Like I said the other day, one of the Indonesian journalists I befriended told me that she had to write her story on the team. She sent me the transcript of it except that it's in Bahasa. I forwarded it to Noli Eala and Joey Bautista so it may be put up in the Gilas site that's in the works.

Here are just some of those photos. And no surprise... Chris Tiu still gets the biggest ovation during introductions.

No comments:

Post a Comment