BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

My field of dreams


Erenchun Field, Ateneo De Manila University. 5:16pm. Picture by Rick Olivares.

There used to be four football pitches there. Erenchun Field wasn't even there yet. That spot of land used to be nothing but talahib or a wild grassy area. But there were four fields and what is now called Ocampo Field was the main one and bigger than it's present size.

There were four fields (outside the one in the high school) that could accommodate up to eight grade school teams playing intramural football.

As for Erenchun Field, we used to hold PT there. Hahahaha. They'd make us run through the field which was actually very dangerous because you never knew if it was level. Those runs were literally suicides coz I saw a few others turn their ankles there.

Instead of building an awkward parking lot I wonder why the school never even considered
multi-level parking. Now the fields have shrunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment