BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Five minutes with Caloy Loyzaga

The first thing I noticed is Caloy Loyzaga despite putting on some weight seems to be powerfully built. The handshake -- he's got a powerful vise-like grip -- confirms that. And he looks you in the eye when he talks to you. And he is sincere and very polite and friendly. A true gentleman of an era gone by. The man has a lot of stories to tell and there's so much that I wanted to ask him, but we didn't have time. His son, Chito, was a teammate of mine in a team named for an old foe of his father at that time, Team (Frankie) Rabat, in the Ateneo Basketball League. I think I was the only non-varsity player on the squad. Hahahaha. We also worked together for some baseball coverage when I was with Solar Sports and have kept in touch about hoops and sports. It helps too that I was a fan of Toyota and Ginebra.

Rick: How are you, sir?
Caloy Loyzaga: I am good! Good. And you?

Rick: Fine, sir. How are you enjoying the game (Ateneo vs UE second round)?
Caloy Loyzaga: I am enjoying it. It’s a different game now, yeah? Not what we played in the day.

Rick: You came here to watch Ateneo – your old rival? Have you seen San Beda yet this year?
Caloy Loyzaga: Well, I… we have a history with Ateneo. And Chito (his son) also went there. So we also root for our old rival. (laughs) You’ve had a lot of very good players over the years. The Ateneo center… what’s his name?

Rick: Rabeh Al-Hussaini.
Caloy Loyzaga: Ah. Robbie?

Rick: Rabeh.
Caloy Loyzaga: Rabeh. He can be more dominant if he improves his footwork and moves a lot faster. He is getting double-teamed so he must make faster decisions with the ball. You see, when you get the ball, don’t give the defense a chance to think. If you can take your man, take him out fast. I don’t think anyone can guard him. But he brings down the ball, you see?

Rick: So you think Ateneo will beat UE?
Caloy Loyzaga: UE’s playing good defense, but I expect Ateneo will adjust. You have intelligent players. It’s going to be a good game.

Rick: How about San Beda; have you watched them lately?
Caloy Loyzaga: Not yet. Tomorrow we will. Not since… what’s his name? The African?

Rick: Sam Ekwe.
Caloy Loyzaga: Yes, Sam. Not since his first year in the NCAA. I heard he’s even better now.

Rick: Do you still follow basketball?
Caloy Loyzaga: Not so much. Don’t ask me too much about the game today (laughs). I don’t know much about it. It’s not the game I played. I play golf. I’m playing golf with my son on Saturday. But I followed the Boston Celtics’ championship season in the NBA. They have a good big man in (Kevin) Garnett. I love the Celtics. I’m glad they’re back. It brings back memories.

Rick: (pleasantly surprised) You’re a Boston Celtics fan? Cool.
Caloy Loyzaga: Oh yes. All the way to the Bill Russell era. I played against him (in the 1954 World Basketball Championships) and (pausing to enunciate) he is the best basketball player who ever lived.


After this I went back to court leaving the Big Difference to chat with inboundpass' Kim Lesaca. I did get to speak with Mr. Caloy again briefly but the longer interview did not push through.

No comments:

Post a Comment