BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Comparing the old and new Yankee Stadiums

Check out the comparative charts of the old and new stadiums.

When Yankee Stadium opened on April 18, 1923, Babe Ruth hit a home run to help the Yankees beat his old team the Boston Red Sox 4-1. And what made that inaugural season even more special was that the Bronx Bombers won their first World Series title.

In their final season in the House That Ruth Built, the Yankees made a winner out of Joe Girardi in his managerial debut after rallying past the always tough Toronto Blue Jays 3-2. Yankees outfielder Melky Cabrera bashed a home run to give this emotional moment a touch of deja vu.

Save yer tickets, my pinstriped brothers. Now here's hoping they win the Series this year and I'm sure win or lose, the Babe will doff his cap to the Yankee faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment