BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Let me try to answer some of the questions asked through the shoutbox, email, and text.

Blogging
Man, it is never easy to keep and maintain a blog. For the longest time, Mai has been patient posting my columns in Business Mirror. To be honest, I wasn't even enamored with the idea. It is to her credit that she kept pushing for it and she eventually began to post even those Blue Eagle Bulletins which helped push the blog's stats through the stratosphere.

The numbers were astonishing that I wanted to maintain it so I began to post every day. Unlike others who would link stories from other sites, I choose to write about what affects me in the world of sports. I've started putting in even my contributions elsewhere. It's incredible when I get email from football fans in Spain asking for tips when shopping in Thailand and Hong Kong. It's amazing when someone from Serbia writes to say that he enjoys going to the blog and learning about sports from a faraway country. And from the De La Salle Zobel admin that asked to reprint a piece -- just a reminder, I haven't received a copy of the magazine! But best wishes to your school endeavor.

For admu futballer, dude, just write down your thoughts. Time Magazine's 2006 Man of the Year was you, me, and everybody. In this day and age where digital technology has practically given everyone a chance to breakout, it's a great opportunity.

Ken Barracoso and Jeff De Guzman
Well, I really haven't spoken to Ken since I broke the news in the blog. We had a quick chat at Xavier Hall one time and communicated via text at another time. I'll get into that when everyone's ready. But people are buckling down to work. Mark Intal too is already applying for work as he finishes up his tour of duty for Ateneo with Team B.

Rico Villanueva & Red Bull
The thing about the Photokina franchise is that they are hard-pressed for money since digital cameras pretty much put out of business the camera film industry. Now the sales of Red Bull don't shoot up the roof so if ya do the math... Strapped for cash, they gotta let go of their high-priced players. Any news that Rico was a hard case are false. That is just the smokescreen there for him to move to another team because of the money.

But you have to give Yeng Guiao a lot of credit. The man simply knows how to win with whatever material he has.

What's up with the Ateneo teams...
With the Blue Eagles, I can't talk much since I have an agreement with the top honchos. But it's all good and will be made available within time. Outside hoops, this is a bit old news, but the captain of the DLSZ football team is going to ADMU. Ditto with the striker of Southridge.

The volleyball team... ah ya all know the team is dear to me so we'll have something with them soon in cooperation with V-League.

As for me?
I'm hoping the trip to Madrid, Normandy, and Paris does push through. If it does, hopefully in time for the El Classico at the Bernabeu (thanks to Carlo for the update!). I could try though!
The trip to Shanghai and Beijing won't push through this May but it's all good since I'll be in Iloilo on a football journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment