BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Play that funky music, white boy!


Just when I uploaded the movie poster of Pisces: The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh then I see the movie trailer for SEMI-PRO. By the time I was aware of the old American Basketball Association, all their stars were in the NBA. Even then they were still a fascinating story. And I remember when much was made mention of when the San Antonio Spurs became the first old ABA team to win an NBA title. The Indiana Pacers nearly did but they were derailed by Shaq and Kobe.

SEMI-PRO is set in 1976 against the backdrop of the maverick ABA league; a popular fast-paced game that built its reputation through innovations including the three-point shot and the slam dunk contest.

Will Ferrell plays Jackie Moon, a one-hit musical wonder, who used the profits from his chart-topping song to realize his dream of owning a basketball team.

However his team, the Flint Tropics from Michigan, are the worst team in the league and face the prospect of folding when the ABA announces plans to merge with the NBA. If they are to survive, the team must do the seemingly impossible - win a match.



No comments:

Post a Comment