BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, April 2, 2022

How Ateneo teaches you to practice zen in a win over La Salle.


 Oh, ye of little faith…

Ateneo defeated La Salle, 74-57, to remain undefeated after four matches, sending the latter to their first loss of Season 84. 

 

I had a laugh in the midst of that 10-0 third quarter run by the Ateneo Blue Eagles that took the starch out of the La Salle Green Archers.

 

Somehow, weirdly enough I thought of a comic book story in Archie comics. Yes, Archie. That red headed dude from Riverdale. 

 

In that comic book story, Riverdale was getting trounced by this visiting team that was playing them physically in a game of American Football. Archie and the gang were trying their darn hardest to play tough and mean but it wasn’t in their character.

 

Then somehow, they chose to play with huge smiles and a friendly attitude but while running their plays. And they overturned the deficit to win with their opponents clearly flustered, bewildered, and confused. 

 

I thought back then… what a shitty story.

 

Shows me what I know, right?

 

When the Green Archers razed the first quarter lead clearly buoyed by the energetic Mike Phillips and the shooting of Mark Nonoy, I had to suppress any agitation. I think I have mastered that in the last 10 years where I will not react no matter if Ateneo is winning or losing. The only time I would give in is when the final buzzer of a game-clinching championship has gone off. Other than that, I keep cool.  

 

A game like Ateneo-La Salle should be practiced with zen-like restraint. Or any Ateneo game under Tab Baldwin although the man did get slapped with a T.

 

So during that searing La Salle rally where they cut the deficit to one point, I told myself…. relax. They’ve got this.

 

If I am to illustrate that Archie reference, I would point to Angelo Kouame who looked in trouble against Mike Phillips in the first half. However, in the last 20 minutes, he became more active and held the La Salle rookie to two points while scoring five for himself. In my opinion, Angelo hasn’t really asserted himself and sometimes looks like a rookie himself – indecisive and well, watching the game happen instead of being in the thick of things. 

 

It wasn’t just him but everyone else was losing the ball and turning the ball over while looking lethargic. And SJ… well.. seemed spaced out, tentative, and unsure of himself again. But in that fourth period, we had the old SJ back.

 

And when push came to shove – Angelo was that rock in the middle once more. 

 

However, before all that, just when it seemed like La Salle was going to overtake Ateneo, Tyler Trio knocked down two consecutive triples and the lead was 13 points by the end of the third period, 58-45. Storm weathered.

 

Relax. Trust in the team. Practice zen. 

 

So….. what do I like about this win?


The calmness about them. They put up a lead, lost in, then put it right back with workman-like precision and ruthlessness. And there's more.

 

Tyler Tio.

He used to get so frustrated with his game as it was not where it should be. But that changed in the last three seasons. He had gotten comfortable and his game flowed. I had seen almost all his games since his second to the last year with Xavier. This calmness and control about him is a joy to watch. Those two triples doused cold water on a hot DLSU squad.

 

Gian Mamuyac

I love players like Mamu – this roving, freelancing on defense type of player who wreaks havoc with his steals, then hits huge buckets and makes big plays. He finished with 11 points, 6 rebounds, 6 steals, and 1 assist. At one point, he had as many steals as the entire La Salle team. How about that?

 

Chris Koon.

He is just getting better and better. Doesn’t complain. Just plays the game. Like Archie, right? Massive player coming off the bench. 6 points, 2 boards, and 2 dimes. 

 

Gio Chiu.

Talk about a big time drive against that amazing Mike Phillips. He has just gotten so much better. I wish the coaching staff got to work on him so that in his final year in Ateneo High, he would have helped Kai Sotto win another chip. 

 

But Gio has been playing quality minutes.

 

All 11 Blue Eagles sent in scored. 

We had more turnover points for the second consecutive game 15-5.

We had more second chance points, 14-10.

We had more fastbreak points, 16-6.

 

Now if we can work those free throws because DLSU shot 16 (although they bricked half) while Ateneo was 5/8. 

 

And Ateneo was whistled for 18 fouls to La Salle’s 11. Really now?

 

It’s okay. I’ll trust the process.

 

Now to look in my baul for that old Archie comic book. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment