BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

At adidas Singapore's launch for the Predator football boot


Saturday! Took part in the early morning launch of the launch of the new adidas Predator shoe at Ngee An City in Orchard Road. What a unique way to launch a new shoe by coming up with an interactive game for media and fans. Adidas Singapore invited fans to develop "a fun obstacle course" that would best demonstrate the qualities of the precision of the Predator (the best selling football boot of all time) : first touch, drive, dribble, pass, and sweet spot. The shoe was jointly developed by Barcelona's Xavi, Manchester United's Nani, Real Madrid's Angel di Maria, Manchester City's Samir Nasri, and Arsenal's  Rob van Persie.


The media present were also asked to take part in the obstacle course. So I was with Team Philippines with Cathy Nazareno-Rivilla and her daughter Franky and photographer Brosi Gonzales. Got to try on the Predator (size 12)! Loved it. The timed obstacle course was tricky. The first task was to control three balls dropped from above. You use the depressed part of the Predator and must make sure that they are kept in a box area. Whether you control a ball or not, you must take the ball and dribble around a course where instead of traffic cones, there are land mines! Not the real thing of course after all you will lose more than your foot if you touch the real thing. There's smoke and zombies to harass you. If the ball touches a mine or a zombie then five seconds are added to your time. 


Hit one mine through clumsy footwork. As I got through, the mine field thee are pillars of zombies I have to maneuver around. Any zombie I touch will see me with another five seconds added to my team's over-all time. Didn't hit any and so I got around to the last task which was to fire in any of the holes on the wall that depending on the level of difficulty will shave off precious seconds off the clock.

Missed the sucker! Those are our targets and you only get one shot.



And so I took my anger out on one zombie. Bwahahaha. Team Philippines lost to Team Singapore by a time of 2:21 to 2: 28. Not bad at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment