BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Soy deprimido! España perdio el juego.

Watched the Spain-Switzerland match in Eastwood. Good crowd tonight unlike the posers in the previous evening. What were the chances of the Swiss pulling off an upset? Not very good I imagine. And right off the starting whistle, the Spaniards took charge. As the analyst noted, La Furia Roja dominated possession 77% of the time (seems like more to me). As the first half progressed, I told myself that Spain better score now because the Swiss will certainly tighten their defense in the second half. Of course the idea is to win but if they can get a point from a draw then why not? As the second half began, I began to feel uneasy. What if by some terrible mistake and a quick counter, Switzerland scored? In five minutes they did much to most of the bar crowd's patrons. If the microphone of the analyst could pick up the ambient sound I'd say the air was sucked out of Durban Stadium (unless you were rooting for the Swiss). Their next attacks were born out of desperation and as I feared, the Swiss held on. Diego Benaglio was superb at goal for Switzerland (six saves). But I wasn't surprised at how well he played. After all, this dude was the keeper for Bundesliga champs Wolfsburg. But now let me mope after this stinging stinging damned loss. In case you don't know, for all of Spain's galaxy of stars, they haven't really done well in World Cup play. And that along with their Confederations Cup loss to the US (2-0 and Gelson Fernandes' goal reminded me of the American goals from last year). At the very least, now the World Cup has some buzz.

No comments:

Post a Comment