BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Show your true colors, Austin.


Yes, that's me in an Argentina jersey with Juan Roman Riquelme's number and the Adamson Falcon's Austin Manyara wearing the ManU jersey I gave him.

Last year, Manyara saw me wearing a Liverpool jersey and he went up to me and shook his head. "My team is better," he said. "Ah, who do you root for?" I asked in return.

"Manchester United."

I nearly decapitated him. Hahaha. Nah, I shook my head back at him and said that they may be England's top team of the last decade or so but they will always suck.

Anyways, we laughed. And got to talk about football and how he enjoyed the game back in his native Kenya. He asked me where he could get a Red Devils shirt in Manila and I said I had one (it was gifted by some idiot) and if he wanted it, I'd give it to him. I was planning on using it to clean the hub caps of my dad's new car so maybe it has some better use elsewhere.
Today during the FilOil match for 3rd Place, I gave it to him and he positively beamed and began yapping like a child (much to the amusement of his teammates). We talked about the World Cup and who could possibly win it all. It sure is fun to talk football with these African guys who love the sport.

Enjoy it now, Austin. Liverpool will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment