BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Video didn't totally kill the radio star! Guest spot on 99.5RT!


Subbed today for Coach Jim Saret on their radio talk show over 99.5RT. That was a huge treat for me; like a homecoming. That was my very first favorite station back when the American Top 40 mattered. When movie premiers were an unheard of concept and car stickers were a cool idea. Of course, the new location of the station is no longer Ayala Avenue but EDSA in Mandaluyong. But RT is RT (although I only listen to NU107 now).

Even better, I bumped into Alvin Aguilar who I almost worked with when I was at Solar Sports. I did work with his sister Drinie over at Sports Desk and other stuff. It was like old home week there. And I got an invite to next week's URCC! Woo hoo!

On the show, Neil Almighty and I chatted on sports and ways of getting fit. Last time I was in a gym, Donnie Nietes and Nonito Donaire were getting me to do skip rope. And that is probably the cheapest and fastest way of losing weight and getting fit. Hahaha. Nugget of info here -- you get fit to do sports not do sports to get fit.

Regarding radio talk shows, I love them. Years back, I had this low opinion on AM radio dramas until I got to work with the fine folks at DZRH. There were a whole bunch of students with me as well and we came away with a better appreciation for radio dramas. I did do a few commercials promoting radio dramas. One of them was actually nominated for an award.

Talk shows. They're commonly associated with AM stations but while in the US, I listened to a lot of jock talk on sports shows and later on late night shows very much like what we saw on Sleepless in Seattle. So every chance I get, I listen to them except for the real inane please....

Hope to make another guest appearance on RT soon. When Jimbo gets back from Australia with Smart Gilas and Halikinu 2010 is back on the air for the next UAAP season.

No comments:

Post a Comment