BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Ateneo gets Swooshed and England's new look

Beginning Season 73, Ateneo varsity teams will be wearing apparel from Nike. From what I understand, adidas wanted a lock-out of all Ateneo athletes. That meant from head to toe. The clothing is fine with athletes, it was the footwear. Not every foot is comfortable with a certain kind of shoe whether it be adidas, Nike, Fila, Converse etc.

Case in point: the Ateneo Women's Volleyball team. They prefer to play wearing shoes from another brand -- is it Asics or Mizuno, I forget at the moment. But when given their adidas shoes, it hurt some of the players' feet to the point of turning toenails, in the words of Charo Soriano, "double dead."

Adidas countered by saying that the Cuba Women's National Volleyball Team wears the same three striped shoes they do. The answer is precisely what it is -- everyone's feet are different from one another.

Based on Nike's new offer, they were being flexible. They allowed the athletes to wear other brands if they were more comfortable with them as long as all the apparel are by the Swoosh. But that's just one point. Nike's package was much better according to Ateneo Athletics officials. Now what they mean by that we don't really need to know. Suffice to say that the Blue & White will go Swoosh!

How do I feel about that? Why not? Change is always good. I love the adidas brand and will still wear it. I think that Ateneo and the Three Stripes go well together. However, I do wear other brands. K-Swiss has always been a favorite and I also have some Puma shoes. Nike used to be my long-time favorite until I switched brands several years ago. Who knows what they have in store for us? I'm actually excited to find out.


Check out Umbro's new kit for England in the 2010 World Cup. Cool isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment