BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Let's go, Johnny!

The season hasn't gone the way everyone wanted it to. The New York Yankees stumbled out of the gates, are in the midst of another A-Rod controversy, and their high-priced signings (save for Nick Swisher) have not delivered.

And it's the old reliables who have done the job so far... but they aren't much anymore. Chien Ming-Wang is injured again. Same with Jorge Posada.

But the year... hasn't been without its share of drama. The win streak may not be there but it has kept me riveted to the box scores and checking out my fave baseball team everyday.

I always like Johnny Damon when he was with the Oakland A's and later with the Boston Red Sox. I was tripping billies when he signed with New York. He sure saved this game versus Baltimore. Whew!

Now in the final year of his contract, I sure hope the Yankees sign him up to patrol their outfield for a few more years. And since Rodriguez returned, the team is 2-1. And speaking of Rodriguez, how about that home run in his first at-bat several days ago that propelled the team to a win and a dominating performance by CC Sabathia?

That isn't saying much since the team is below .500 (15-16) but as it says in the photo... one game at a time, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment