BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Ken Barracoso to skip his final playing year

Breaking news here. Ken Barracoso has decided not to play out his fifth year with the Blue Eagles. I'll get the exclusive sometime soon. But for now, I'll give him the space.

I've always rooted for this kid and always made it a point to give him a pat on the back whether he had a good or bad game. After the past basketball campaign, I took time to sit down with him and give him a pep talk about taking a different approach. I'm not going to claim credit for his elevating his game during the Champions League where he won an award. That belongs entirely to him. He did the work. Not me.

So it saddens me that he's opted not to wear the blue and white one final time. I always had this feeling that he'd help carry the team next season. Of course, it still is a long ways til next July, but for now he's concentrating on his studies and graduating on time. What he needs right now is that space, understanding, and our support.

I do know that he's planning on putting up a business with another ward of mine Jeff De Guzman. Best wishes to your endeavor, guys!

Thanks, Ken. God bless and always... One Big Fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment