BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Hits and misses


Making his best Kirk Gibson impression, the Ateneo Blue Eagles, er... Blue Batters Kirk Long connects for three singles in four at-bats in an 8-3 loss to Adamson. Ateneo's second two-sport star this year along with Crystal Ballentyne. As I said before, the last one we had was the Blue Eagles' and Blue Booters' Vince Santos!




LeBron James may not be one of my favorite NBA players but he certainly earns brownie points with me for the Zoom V shoe what with its tribute to our favorite baseball team... the New York Yankees. Check out the baseball diamond in the tongue design. The number 23 is obviously James' tribute to the one and only Michael Jordan, but the shoe is undeniably the Yankees. Dig the pinstripes and the blue and white team colors on the kicks.

Boston Red Sox President Larry Luchino is harrumphing all the way from Beantown, "We knew it all along. James is an agent of the Evil Empire!"





This is why I love the NFL. During the post-game press conference of the game between the New York and Dallas, Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens was asked if QB Tony Romo’s Mexican getaway with girlfriend Jessica Simpson distracted the team. Said Owens, “It's really unfair. It's my teammate. It's my quarterback. I've always had good relationships with my quarterbacks. I've always had my quarterbacks' back."
Somewhere in America Jeff Garcia and Donovan McNabb have fallen out of their chairs in disbelief.



In 1981, Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda was asked why the club’s renegotiations with Mexican-pitching sensation Fernando Valenzuela was taking too long. Said Lasorda, “He wants Texas back.”








Results: Who is the hardest PBA player to guard?
Willie Miller 23 votes
Danny Seigle 11 votes
James Yap 6 votes
Mark Caguioa 6 votes
Cyrus Baguio 5 votes
Jimmy Alapag 1 vote

No comments:

Post a Comment