BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

English footballer seeks GAB help with Global FC row

English footballer seeks GAB help with Global FC row

By Rick Olivares

 

Ghanaian footballer, John Cofie, who is based in Manchester, England, has sought the assistance of the Games and Amusements Board in sorting out his problems with Global FC.

 

Cofie reached out to this writer about Global FC apparently did not fulfill their contract obligations when they signed him to play for the PFL squad. “I was approached in the middle of January, around the 15th to the 20thin regards to signing,” said the 27-year old Cofie. “I spoke to who at that time, I was made aware to be the owner of the club, Tamiswa Mazinyi, and my agent at that time, Graham Duffield.”

 

Cofie said that in preparation for his flight to Manila, he resigned from his job at Ocado; a food company in Manchester. “I had to leave my job due to Global making promises to fly me and my family over,” added Cofie who previously played for Hulme City in Australia. “I have a small child and am having a difficult time to provide for my family due to unfulfilled promises by Global.”

 

Cofie presented his contract as well as screen shots with Global management. He submitted a plea for help to the Games and Amusements Board this morning, July 21st

 

This writer also reached out to other players from the squad and they too confirmed similar experiences regarding unpaid salaries and unfulfilled promises. According to one player, Global FC management informed the squad this past Monday, July 20, about making payments within the next two days.

 

The players however remain wary because management has made numerous promises to remit money in previous months even before the Covid-19 pandemic hit. 

 

This writer reached out to Global FC ownership via text but as of press time, they have yet to respond. 

 

GAB said they will look into the matter.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment