BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, July 22, 2019

Mariano Rivera: Enter the HOF, Sandman.



Enter the HOF, Sandman.
by rick olivares

New York Yankees pitched Mariano Rivera was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame; a unanimous selection, last Sunday, July 21, 2019.

The Panamanian pitcher truly deserves it. He notched 652 saves; 51 more than second placer Trevor Hoffman. It was in the post-season where he was the most valuable. In his 18 years pitching for the Yankees, he finished with an 8-1 record with a 0.70 earned run average and 42 saves in 96 appearances. He helped New York win five Major League Baseball World Series titles.

As a lifelong Yankees fan, it feels good that one of my favorite players is going to the Hall of Fame (along with Mike Mussina in this class of inductees). The other inductees included Roy Halladay, Edgar Martinez, Harold Baines, and Lee Smith. I got to see all the other players – against the Yankees – and all at the old Yankee Stadium.

I only have four Yankees jerseys with names on them – Paul O’Neill, Derek Jeter, Aaron Judge, and Rivera. Mariano is the only pitcher in that lot. 

I must have watched about a hundred live games of the Yankees and I still have every ticket that I purchased to Yankee Stadium. I consider myself lucky that I got to see all my favorites – O’Neill, Bernie Williams, DJ, A-Rod, Andy Pettitte, Jason Giambi, and Mo. 

Watching him pitch in really tense situations, displaying that unnatural calm, and his expression hardly betraying any emotion is incredible. Win or lose, he was a stoic on that mound. The one time I saw him show any emotion was when he was “taken out” of the game by his teammates Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte in his final game. That was emotional and Mo cried on Pettitte’s shoulders. Hell, I am a grown man and I cried too.

For many Yankees fan, watching him trot out of the Bullpen to Metallica’s classic song, “Enter Sandman,” is one of the game’s best sights.

Once, I got to shake Mo’s hand near the player’s entrance. I waited by that entrance quite a few times and there was no guarantee any player would come over to shake your hand. Mo did that one time and he didn’t just shake my hand, he even chatted for about a minute. I was in shock and really didn’t know what to say. I was so stunned that I forgot to even ask for a picture or autograph! What a dunce!

Him spending close to a minute is an awful long time. Other fans immediately came over. While Mo gave them time, he didn’t just move on and forget me. He made sure to politely say that he was going to say hi to the others as well. I have not met another sportsman/celebrity who has done or said anything within that zip code. That definitely left a good impression on me.

I guess, it was the way that team of Yankees under Joe Torre carried themselves that left a good impression on many. While all the players were fiercely competitive, they all conducted themselves in a professional manner.

One time, while working at Burger Heaven on East 96thand Lexington, I got to see lunch for Jason Giambi and then pitcher Tanyon Sturtze. There was a no autograph policy at the restaurant, but the two graciously signed autographs for me and another waiter from Bangladesh named Imon, who was a die-hard Yankees fan. 

There’s a risk they can be testy as they are on an off-day. I myself witness a famous actor blow off a young fan who asked for his autograph while he was eating. I was nervous that should Giambi and Sturtze be upset, Imon and I could get fired. But no. They were cool and they even chatted for a few seconds.

Sitting up in the upper tier boxes of Yankees Stadium, it is so easy to get caught up in all the emotions of a baseball game. The fans are vociferous in their support or loud in their opinions. Watching Mo, I kept to myself. In fact, I still remain calm ever during games today no matter how intense.

One time during the Philippines-Korea match of the 2013 Fiba Asia Championships, as the crowd at the MOA Arena was going wild, a colleague of mine asked me how on Earth could I remain so calm, not cheering, and well, looking very much composed.

I said, one, were journalists. We have to stay neutral. And then I said, “because of Mariano Rivera.” 

My colleague got it. He might be a massive basketball fan who doesn’t really watch baseball. But even he knew who Mariano Rivera was and what he stood for.

Congratulations on entering baseball’s Hall of Fame, Mariano. You deserve it.



No comments:

Post a Comment