BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, December 9, 2018

The Evolution of Jojo Lastimosa

The Evolution of Jojo Lastimosa
by rick olivares

I was in high school when a classmate of mine invited me to watch the Ateneo Blue Eagles play. At that time, I rarely saw the seniors squad and only watched the juniors squad especially my batchmates who played on the PAYA, PRADA, and UAAP Juniors teams of Ateneo.

That the UAAP games were played at the Loyola Center (now called Blue Eagle Gym) made it easier to watch. At that time, Jojo Lastimosa was playing for the Blue Eagles with a team that included Chot Reyes among others.

I didn’t know Jolas then but I quickly remembered him for his rim rattling dunks.

Yet watching him with Purefoods later on, I couldn’t help how he evolved from a flashy dunker to a more cerebral scorer; one who relied on crafty moves and a steady jump shot. Not his hops or athleticism although it was there. I could be wrong, but I don’t recall seeing him dunk in the pros.

Then when he hung up his sneakers, he was an assistant coach with the Alaska Aces and there was a time when I was covering that squad very closely and given a lot of access by then head coach Tim Cone.

The discussions of the coaching staff were fascinating. Jolas was vocal with his observations and ideas. He never struck me as the passive type. I told myself that this man is going to be a head coach somewhere. Then I saw him in the Jr. NBA program where I was impressed with his willingness to work with young kids.

Watching him join the coaching staff of FEU stings a bit when I feel he should be in Loyola Heights. But it is what it is. You go where the opportunities are.

Now with the Bataan Risers, I am immensely enjoying watching him grow as a coach. Here is a man with a lot of ideas and not just Xs and Os. Because of the long days without games for the Risers, Lastimosa is forced to improvise. I like how he has included some simple activities such as bowling and yoga into Bataan’s routine.

Said sharpshooter Byron Villarias, “Coach gives us players a lot of room to grow. Na-appreciate ko 'yan as a player. Yung atmosphere namin sa Risers are relaxed. Grabe yung support and gusto mo isukli yung binibigay sa ‘yo.”

Added Pamboy Raymundo, “Players’ coach yan si Coach Jolas. Gusto mo ibigay lahat sa kanya dahil sa tiwala niya sa ‘yo.”

Homegrown Bataan player Gio Espuelas is grateful for the opportunity. “Lahat ng player ginagamit niya. Malaking bagay sa amin yan.”

Right now, the Bataan Risers are at a league-best 14-1 and are riding the crest of a very impressive 14-game win streak (during that span, he also guided the NLEX Road Warriors to a win in the absence of Yeng Guiao who was on national team duty). When I asked Jolas about his current success, he admitted it wasn’t much. “A streak and a win doesn’t guarantee anything. The process is long and the goal is to get better and to compete for a championship. I have been around basketball too long to put my faith in these things. You have to work for everything.”

When he told me that, I thought back to the time back in 1988 when Lastimosa’s Purefoods team lost to Anejo in the conference finals (a teammate missed free throws that could have altered the finish). I bumped into Jolas at Unimart in Greenhills where he was buying groceries with his wife. This was the day after the loss and Lastimosa’s eyes were puffy from tears.

I walked up to him and consoled him and I remember the conversation like it was yesterday. “It hurts but the hurt and the tears are only good if you learn from them.”

It took Lastimosa two more seasons before he tasted success with Purefoods. And even then, he talked about the values of patience and hard work.

Now with Bataan, I see him channel his coaches – Baby Dalupan, Tim Cone, Joel Banal, and others. His ideas are a fusion of what he has learned and from his personal take on the game. Where he finishes this season with the Bataan Risers will be interesting to watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment