BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, January 8, 2018

Career interrupted: Renzo Subido excited to be back for UST Tigers and to play for Ayo


Career interrupted: Renzo Subido excited to be back for UST Tigers and to play for Ayo
by rick olivares

There’s excitement brewing inside the España campus of the University of Santo Tomas as Aldin Ayo, one of the highest profile and successful college basketball coaches in recent memory has changed zip codes.

The prevailing hope is that the days of ignominy and dwelling in the cellar are over. And one Growling Tiger simply cannot wait to get started. Or to be more precise, get his college career back on track.

It wasn’t too long ago that Renzo Subido was one of those highly touted high school players to move up the senior ranks. Before Aljun Melecio was a hot-shooting star for the De La Salle Zobel Junior Archers, that tag belonged to Subido (who was recruited out of Lourdes School in Mandaluyong).

The point guard suited up for the De La Salle Green Archers for a few matches in the Filoil Flying V Premier Cup during six years ago but he soon de-camped for the University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers where he played alongside another former Junior Archer in Jeric Fortuna and Jon Sheriff.

Unfortunately, the following season, Subido was sidelined by a knee injury. When he returned the next year, he a severe ankle sprain prevented him from finishing out the campaign.

“I know I could have done more during my rookie season which is why I was looking forward to my sophomore year,” related Subido. “Kaso I tore my ACL. I was able to go back in five months but in that span, it was not enough to recover. Plus, legs, quads, and hamstring were still weak. When I finally returned, hindi ko makuha rhythm ko then I sprained my ankle and sat out the rest of the season.”

Last season, Renzo finally got healthy, but he, however, opted not to play for former UST coach Boy Sablan who left at the end of the campaign. During that time, Subido put into good use his spare time by first suiting up for AMA Computer College and then for Koy and Joel Banal with Marinerong Pilipino in the PBA D-League.

“I could say that it was a good decision because I learned a lot playing in the D-League when I went up against bigger and tougher players,” shared Subido. “The exposure I got in the D-League is something that I hope will help me. I learned a lot from Coach Mark Herrera (AMA) and Coach Koy and Joel. Playing with kuya Denok Miranda was a blessing and he was so helpful.”

“With what I learned, right now more than excited to play for UST again. I’m healthy and hopefully will remain injury free and my confidence is sky high.”

Now with Ayo given the security of tenure and basketball operations in UST, Subido said that he looks forward to learning from one of the best in the business. “I am excited to play for Coach Aldin,” enthused Subido “Tried and tested na yung system niya. I think the system he wants to implement for UST will be perfect because of the kind of players we have. I hope I can be a part of UST’s renaissance.”

“I have two more years to play and I intend to make the most out of them for UST.”







No comments:

Post a Comment