BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Meet National University’s Faith Nisperos


Meet National University’s Faith Nisperos
by rick olivares

We spoke to Nazareth School of National University open spiker Faith Nisperos after her team’s opening day win Holy Family Academy.

Rick: You’re from Davao and went to school at Ateneo De Davao?
Faith: Yes, I’m from Ateneo De Davao University. I started playing volleyball when I got the opportunity to try out. Coach Lalay Samela (of Ateneo) started talking to me and my parents since I was in Grade 2. But I was only allowed to join when I was in Grade 4.

Rick: Aren’t tall girls usually asked to try out for basketball?
Faith: At that time, there were no training grounds for elementary girls basketball.

Rick: Let’s get the official word on this – what is your height?
Faith: I stand 5 feet 10 inches.

Rick: You were recruited by NU? How big is it to play in the UAAP for you?
Faith: It is one of my dreams to play for a UAAP school. When I was in Grade 6, I wasn’t aware there was a girls division in the UAAP. So it was a dream come true when I was recruited by NU.

Rick: You’re currently in what grade?
Faith: I’m in the 11th grade.

Rick: How big was this three-peat for your team?
Faith: The three-peat of my team represents the hard work and dedication of my team to achieve our goals and vision. It’s also our vision to inspire kids, adults, and anyone who watches us.

Rick: What do you think of your team’s participation in the Rebisco Volleyball League?
Faith: The tournament is actually our preparation for our upcoming Game 1 of the Finals in the UAAP. So, this whole tournament teaches us how to be mature enough to focus our energy to accomplish a goal within a short period of time which is the Rebisco Volleyball League and the UAAP.




No comments:

Post a Comment