BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Mike Myers: From club to country


Mike Myers: From club to country
by rick olivares

Mike Myers flew into Manila as a possible replacement for injured Talk ‘N Text import Joshua King. Instead of leading the club to a PBA conference championship, he’s into something bigger than what he expected. The 6’8” Myers is now leading the Philippines in its gold medal bid in the upcoming 2017 William Jones Cup.

“I think helping the Philippine national team it’s a good opportunity,” said the Camden, New Jersey native. “In my life, you take all the opportunities that come your way. It’s simple – you do well and hope for even bigger ones.”

Myers went to college at Maryland Eastern Shore where he took up sociology. “Studying away from home prepares you for a life of a professional basketball player,” shared the man who says he is inspired by Kobe Bryant. “After he ended his college career in 2015, Myers played in Italy before hooking up with Talk ‘N Text and now the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas which recruited him to play for the nationals.

“It’s good and talented bunch,” said Myers of his teammates. “We’re just excited for this. It’s a new experience for me as well. I hope I can help.”

“When you’re young, you think of playing for the US national team. Now that’s not easy. Little did I know I’d be playing for another national team that is thousands of miles away. I just hope I can help.”


No comments:

Post a Comment