BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Jarvey Gayoso: The Rising Son



Jarvey Gayoso: The Rising Son
by rick olivares

Second generation stars seem to be the norm now as they are finding their place if not having cemented their place in sports.

You have the Ravenas, Tengs, Blacks, Alases, to name a very select few. There’s one though – whose name is spoken about as many of his games aren’t televised. And that harkens back to a bygone age when reputations spread by word of mouth.

“Have you seen Jay Gayoso’s son play?” Jay Gayoso who won championships with the Ateneo Blue Eaglets and Blue Eagles, was a key player for the 1990s Ginebra teams – you know, was the first collegiate star to get his own commercial (Milo, if you remember that from the 1980s).

Oh, the son is playing basketball too?

Not exactly.

Jarvey Gayoso, standing six-foot-one and in his second year in college is continuing to make a name for himself… in football. He’s been delivering crazy and pitch perfect passes. He’s been scoring. And well, people have been raving. In fact, several UAAP schools tried to get him to take his talents outside Loyola Heights for college.

“I was introduced to football in kindergarten (while in Richfield), related the son. “My mom allowed me to play in a football camp and it went well. It didn’t take much for me to fall in love with the sport.”

The young Gayoso would also go to his father’s basketball camps, but he was never pressured to follow in his basketball footsteps (although Jay also excelled in football and track and field).

His father though glows about his son’s potential in basketball. “He’s got the height and the smarts,” glowed the father as he took in last summer’s Filoil basketball tourney. Not to mention the genes.

It isn’t only the father with any sporting pedigree. Jarvey’s lolo, is none other than the late great Ed Ocampo who aside from starring for Ateneo in the 1950s was also named Mr. Football and Mr. Basketball while also representing the Philippines in the Olympics. His other uncle, is Alvin Ocampo who starred for La Salle’s football team where he also won championships and also suited up for the national team.

How’s that for an act to follow.

Actually, I don’t feel pressure at all,” dispels, Jarvey. “All my relatives are very supportive. They never put ideas about being as good or to better them. Rather, they inspire me. I don’t think it is hard being the apo of Ed, the son of Jayvee, the nephew of Alvin... I am actually proud of what they have accomplished. They inspire me. Instead of getting upset about comparisons, I embrace it. Besides, whatever happens, my family is so supportive that I cannot ask for anything else.”

Individually, the young Gayoso has carted home trophies. Success as a team, however, has been hard to come by.

While in high school, Jarvey led Ateneo to bridesmaid finishes to perennial nemesis FEU. And in his first year in college, his Blue Booters team lost in the finals to a power-packed UP line-up.

“If anything, the losses in the championship rounds keep me humble and constantly remind me and my teammates that we have to work harder if we want to reach the next level.”

In his first year for the senior Ateneo side, he looked to pass more – “make the perfect pass to set up a teammate” he puts it – rather than score.

“I think it’s better when you have more weapons,” he theorized.

More to his playmaking and scoring abilities, Jarvey has tried to influence the mood inside the locker room. “I usually keep to myself and focus; listen to some upbeat music like My Chemical Romance or Walk the Moon. But last year, it started out as trying to have fun but I was playing the “Theme from Jurassic Park” and we beat FEU. Since then we’ve been playing it before every game. It’s inspiring too.”

When the UAAP tourney kicks off this 4th of February, Gayoso hopes that last year’s bamboozling by UP in the finals has served more than a wake-up call. “Yes, we are a young team, but we cannot rest on our finish. It doesn’t mean we will still make the championship round this coming season because everyone is going to level up.”

The young Gayoso, still battling, balancing both studies and football – quite a challenge he says in his sophomore year – has displayed a maturity uncommon among people his age.

“Pressure? Life is all about challenges and pressure. Isn’t that why we go to school -  to learn how to deal with it and find our place in the world?”




No comments:

Post a Comment